UNIVERSITY CHESSMEN WIN H.Y.P.D. TOURNAMENT

Impressive Victory Scored by Foster, Fernsler, Murphy, and Chauvenet in Third Crimson Triumph

One gleam of light in the darkness of Harvard's athletic record during the Christmas holidays was the impressive victory scored by the Crimson chess team in the recent H. Y. P. D. matches held at New York.

A University team composed of John L. Foster '38, John J. Fernsler '40, William M. Murphy '38, and Louis R. Chauvenet '41 vanquished its opponents in convincing fashion by winning every match. Showing great skill in all departments of the game, the Crimson chess men each won two games and drew one. The whole team placed among the highest scoring six in the tournament.

In this Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth competition, which started in 1925, Harvard has won the cup more times than all the other competing colleges together. The team winning five times in succession gains permanent possession of the cup.

Balked of this prize despite a past winning streak of four times in succession, the Crimson Chess Club is pointing for the honor at the present time with a series of three victories in a row now to its credit.