Believe Burgess Found in West Virginia As Newshawk Sports Him In Lunchroom

Description Is Corroborated by Waiters in Cafe at Bluefield From Police Chart

F. William Burgess, first year Law student missing since November 13 was seen yesterday afternoon in Bluefield, West Virginia, according to Harold W. Ball, reporter on the Sunset News.

Speaking to the CRIMSON over the telephone, long distance, early this morning, Ball said, "I am confident that I saw this fellow this afternoon having lunch in a restaurant."

Waiters Identify Suspect

As further proof he added that two waiters had instantly identified Burgess' picture on the reward poster as that of the man who had been eating there for three days.

First news of the identification was received when Ball wired the Boston police last night, informing them of his suspicion.

To the CRIMSON, Ball later described in detail his discovery and later search.

Eating in a local, second-rate restaurant at approximately 1:45 o'clock yesterday afternoon, the reporter noticed a young man eating a plain lunch with milk to drink. Because of his "extra-ordinary good looks," the man in a brown suit, carefully dressed, attracted Ball.

Recalling the police poster of the missing Burgess, Ball hurried to his office, returning too late with the picture to catch the suspect, who had left.

Cutting out the photograph and without explaining his reasons, the reporter showed the picture to two waiters. Immediately both recognized it as that of the man who at odd hours had eaten there three times in the past three days.

Searches Hotels

He then went to the two top hotels in the town. Neither had seen anyone answering to Burgess' description. Both were in possession of posters and were on the look-out for the missing student.

At a third and lower class hotel, Ball discovered that a Mr. Burgess was registered from Philadelphia as a representative of a firm in Cincinnati, where the law student lives. Ball was unable to find the lodger named Burgess, showed a picture to the clerk, who said it might be the man, since he hadn't seen him with his hat off.

Ball is almost certain that this man is not the missing Burgess, but intends to check it this morning.

In case he finds the suspect, he is uncertain as to the method of approaching him, but intimated that he will not call the police until the man has admitted his identity.

Superindendent of Police,

Boston, Massachusetts.

Positive I saw William Burgess having lunch at local restaurant. Upon realization of identity returned to restaurant and he had gone. Showed picture without explanation to two walters. Both identified it instantly. Said this is third day he had eaten there at odd hours. If Burgess is unfound will try further to locate suspect and positively identify. (signed)   Harold W. Ball.