HAM AND EGGS AND TOWNSEND

Sweeping the country in epidemic proportions, a new old-age pension fever has suddenly loomed as a prime political issue. Since it has already decided several crucial elections, and since it undoubtedly will decide several more, there is small wonder that demagogues have seized upon it as the most likely fertilizer for a bumper crop of votes. Both camps are guilty of rosy promises, but most striking is their use by New Deal enemies, who on the one hand assert their conservatism and curse the Administration for extravagance, on the other back the most ultra-radical ideas and advocate the payment of billions in pension grants. Under this category, unfortunately must come the recent support, by Massachusetts Republicans, of the Townsend Plan.

In passing judgment, two salient facts must be kept in mind. First is the fact that most vote-seeking pension advocates fully realize the hare-brained qualities, the financial impossibilities of their schemes. They have seen the Colorado fiasco. They have heard the grave warnings of most reputable economists. Still they wave the pension banners, keeping strangely silent on the question of paying the bill.

Secondly, few of these politicians are sincere in their professed support. They make their vague promises only with the comfortable assurance that these will not actually materialize. This was amply shown by the enthusiasm of Oregon Republicans for nation-wide Townsend legislation, their bitter opposition to a state-wide Townsend scheme which faced imminent passage.

The garish light of these two facts shows up the majority of pension promises as cheap electoral bribes. Only thus can the action of Massachusetts Republicans be interpreted, whatever the righteousness of their cause against Curley. Moreover, a unique feature--the arousal of false hopes in the hearts of many old men and women, the ugly delusion involved--makes such a bribe doubly reprehensible. Principles of humanity are at stake.