Payson S. Wild Is Appointed New Head of Debating

Assistant Government Professor Succeeds Edward M. Rowe '27, Director For 11 Years

Payson S. Wild assistant professor of Government, has been appointed Director of Debating, succeeding Edward M. Rowe '27, director for the past 11 years, officers of the Debating Council announced last night.

It was also revealed that Albert Norris '27 will fill the newly created post of coach of University (varsity) debating. He is an instructor of Mathematics at Milton Academy, and has been debating coach there. David Horton 3G, former captain and coach of debating at the University of Washington has been appointed co-director. It was indicated that the co-directors would be in charge of the new inter-house activities. Final confirmation of their appointments awaits the decision of the House masters.

It was understood that Rowe, because of the pressure of his law practice which includes the defense of the four Freshmen involved in the "attack" on the American Legion, has not been able to devote sufficient time to the debaters. He has served without remuneration for over a decade.

"We are exceedingly grateful to Mr. Rowe for his long term of fine service to Harvard debating, and regret very much the fact that he must devote his time to his practice in the future. His departure is a great loss to the Council. . . ." was the Debating Council's resolution of thanks, passed last night.