Team Acquires Self-Confidence and Poise In 26-7 Triumph Over Princeton Saturday

Second Half Turns Contest Into Stampede as Macdonald and Harding Lead Offense

By Cleveland Amory

"Our boys love to play the Princeton boys," declared head coach Dick Harlow after Saturday's game, and well they might love these Bengal-mauling clashes which for three years now have been the turning points in Harvard's season. For, in the flush of Saturday's 26-7 triumph, the Varsity team acquired the self-confidence and poise, denied by four gruelling defeats, which should carry them up to and through Yale for a 4-4 record for the campaign.

Altogether the game was one long continuation of the good taste left by Harvard's last-minute pay-off against Dartmouth. During the second quarter, with the score 7-7, the good taste was a little too fluffy for mouth comfort, but the third and fourth cantos dispelled all trace of gloom. In the first period it took exactly five minutes for the Crimson to march 75 yards for the first score. On the first play, wingback Torby Macdonald broke through the weak side of the Tiger line for 16 yards, three plays later he romped 30 yards on a wide left end sweep and, after two completed flat passes by tailback Frank Foley, Macdonald fought over left tackle for two yards and a touchdown.

HARLOW "HAPPY HERE," HAS "NO INTENTION" OF LEAVING

Football Coach Harlow made the following statement after the game to the press concerning rumors of his resignation:

"Gentlemen, I would like to make this statement on the record. I have no intention of leaving Harvard and I expect to be here for several years not only because of my own wish but because of the assurance of the University authorities that they want me.

"Frankly, I have been disturbed at various references in the press to the effect that I contemplated leaving Harvard. I assure you that I am most happy here and that I have had utmost cooperation from everyone connected with the University.

"When I made the statement at the Varsity Club dinner last night that I hoped that when my time to move on came, Princeton-Harvard relations would be sweeter than ever, I did so merely to reiterate what I had said when I first came to Cambridge namely that it would be always my intention to guard Harvard traditions and ideals so that I could leave them as I found them. I hope this clears up the situation completely."

Second Half a Rout

The second period was not so hot, to put it mildly. The Harlowmen gained only 36 yards from scrimmage, four passes failed, a quick kick was nothing extra, and Princeton scored after a Foley fumble on the Harvard 31-yard line.

During the half we are led to believe there was a fight talk. Harlow decided to insert burly bucker Ben Smith to improve on the none too deceiving spinning fakes of Joe Gardella. Still Smith was not able to work any wonders for a little while, for Princeton had obviously scouted Harvard's spinners down to a fine point.

After six minutes were up, however, Smith took the ball from center, gave it to Austie Harding, who started around right end. All of the Crimson interference, except Bob Green and Tim Russell went to the right. To the right also went the Bengals, and they buried Harding under three tall tacklers. But Harding had slipped the pigskin to the circling Macdonald, and "Flash 55" was off. Green and Russell contributed perfect blocks, while the whole rest of the team swept toward the left, crossblocking the Bengals. At midfield Macdonald reversed his field and streaked for the money zone, 73 yards in all.

Two More Tallies

Just a couple of minutes passed and then Smith spun and gave the ball to Harding. Again the perfectly timed blocking, skillful "heads-up" running, and the tailback reversed by the tiring Tiger Mountain, going for 47 yards for another score.

The fourth score was set up when Win Jameson, who turned in a great two and half periods at right end after Don Daughters had received a concussion, and Ken Booth, defensive bulwark at tackle, smeared Tiger passer Dave Allerdice on his own five-yard line. Booth picked the bounding ball out of Allerdice's failing arms but was downed immediately. On one play Macdonald went half way to score and on the next he went the rest of the way. A holding penalty foiled the attempted conversion.

The Crimson still wanted one more score. With Foley, Boston, Gardella, Fearon, Coleman, and Lowry relieving the regulars, the boys almost got the count over 30. But after a 20-yard get-a-way by sophomore Joe, the umpire pillaged the pellet, and the victory march of the fans commenced.

Addenda

Don Daughters was taken to the infirmary with a concussion but is to be in harness again by tomorrow at the latest . . .

Harlow was inclined to credit Friday's rally as being instrumental in the new victory-consciousness . . . The Bengal band used a number of "fakers" who pretended they were playing to swell the musical ranks . . . Coach Wieman's huddle looked very informal with its "heads-up" style; it gave the center time to come up and growl at the Harvard line before being joined by his mates . . . Little Nick Mellen was outweighed 60 lbs. by opposing guard Herring, but the latter spent all afternoon picking himself off the ground . . . Austie Harding's choice of plays was uncanny during the second half; he proved himself a great team spark . . . Hardest tackle seen on Soldiers Field this year was by backer-up Cliff Wilson and Joe Gardella on Mountain; the latter fumbled, causing a touchback, and he was never himself thereafter . . . Tom Healey continued his steady improvement and now ranks with Booth to give Harvard as outstanding a tackle pair as exists in the East.