1942 GRIDDERS DRILL FOR EXETER STRUGGLE

OPENER SATURDAY IS SCHEDULED ON ENEMY FIELD

Favored with perfect football weather for the last ten days, the 1942 edition of Freshman footballers moves into the final stages of preparation for its opening game with Exeter Saturday, and it is a squad which may make Crimson grid fans forget the lean years of '36 and '37.

Long Scrimmages

Since Monday, the squad has been scrimmaging as much as two hours at a stretch as Coach Skip Stahley drives it into condition for the coming encounter with the Exonians, to be played away.

Although Skip has been switching numerous men in and out of the unofficial A team lineup, the most likely line prospects for starting posts Saturday are George Kuhn and Tom Johnson, ends, Vern Miller and Tom O'Loughlin, tackles, Endicott Peabody and Dick Rowe, guards, and either Jack McNeil or Ready at the pivot spot. Backs who may get the call are Lee. Art Lyman, George Heiden, Al Vander Eb, Hal Tine, and Spreyer.

Two Injuries Yesterday

Yesterday's practice was marred by two slight injuries to A squad members. O'Loughlin, 194-pound tackle, who has looked very good on defense, suffered a wrenched knee, a recurrence of an old injury. Ready, who has been filling the center post regularly, injured a nerve in the back of his leg. Both may be in shape to play Saturday, however.

Predictions as to the kind of season the Yardlings will have can be quite optimistic. The material is heavy and experienced in the line, with good replacements three deep at the tackles, while Stahley will have at least six A-1 backs on call. But whether the team will raise the pall of defeat that has hung over Freshman teams for two years is another question, which may be answered Saturday.