Scouts Cry "Pittsburg", "Minnesota" About Cornell as Harlow Drives Hard

Skip Stahley Calls Red Invaders Best Team Stadium Has Seen in Years

By Cleveland Amory

Yesterday head Coach Harlow drove his Varsity through perhaps the hardest practice session that Soldiers Field has seen since the advent of the usually smiling but now slightly dour Dick. And well he might, for the trio of scouts he sent to see the Cornell-Colgate clash returned dripping with pearly words of glumness.

"The biggest and best team the Stadium has seen," grunted Skip Stahley. "A bigger line than any we had or played against in my four years at Pittsburgh," grumped Johnny Wood. Even the new baseball coach now working for Harlow, Floyd Stahl, growled his bit, "Cornell looks like Minnesota."

All the week-ending scouts declared that the Big Red, averaging 212 pounds per man from tackle to tackle, was even better now than they were at the close of last season. The scouts spoke of the "catlike" ability of all American Brud Holland in tones of awe and they fairly sang the praises of the "ghost-runner" George Peck, who piled up most of the running back punt yardage, 162 to be exact.

Exams Take Toll

Thus Coach Dick had ample excuse to push his Varsity, or rather what was left of them, for center Tim Russell, tackle Tom Healey, and blocker Chief Boston were beset with Ancient Author exams until signal drill, and right guard Dave Glueck had to be held from scrimmage, since he is still suffering from Bruin pounding.

Three Promotions

The Varsity "red-shirts" were increased to the number of 30 yesterday with the promotion of Al Maguire, Frazier Curtis, and Joe Gardella. Maguire and Curtis, both Sophomores, played respectively at end and blocking back on last year's J. V. club, while Gardella was the star wingback on last year's Freshman aggregation. Now a bucking back, Gardella has shown up well enough in his first scrimmages since being hurt to warrant his consideration close under Mike Cohen and