Carr Optimistic With Booters Further Advanced for Opener Than Year Ago

Lettermen Fight for Positions As First Game of Season Approaches

Far in Advance of the Booters a year ago, Coach Jack Carr's soccer team is anxiously awaiting its first test when it meets Tufts Saturday afternoon.

A year ago the Crimson opened with the epidemic-ridden Jumbos, who, minus six of their regulars, were subdued 6-0. Although Carr doesn't anticipate another Tufts illness epidemic, ho is counting on his team to duplicate last season's victory.

Lettermen Vie for Posts

With few losses by graduation, Carr has a nucleus of veterans around which to form his 1938 Varsity. In fact the soccer mentor is pressed to find room on the eleven for two of last year's first stringers, Art Page and Jim Rousmaniere, who are now battling for the center forward berth. Likewise a pair of veterans, Joe Bradley and Dick Lewis, are evenly matched for the right fullback post.

Two Sophomore stars of last year's Yardling team are engaged in a fight for positions, with George Hanford just a shade behind the veteran Harold Williams for goal, and Bill Edgar leading Phil Brooks, a Senior, for the right half post.

In the starting lineup against Tufts, the Crimson team will probably be composed of Williams, goal; Bradley, right forward; Nelson Hardenbergh, left forward; Edgar, right half; Bernie Jacobsen, center half; George Phillips, left half; Captain Joe Johansen, right outside; Frank Harnden, right inside; Page, center forward; Dick Witkin, left inside; and Howie Mendel, left outside.