Berkley, Yale Grid Champion Meets Kirkland Here Tomorrow

Deacons Out to Avenge Loss of Last Year. Game at 10:30 On Soldiers Field

By virtue of its first down margin over Winthrop in last Monday's 0-0 playoff, the Kirkland grid team will meet Berkeley College of Yale, Eli House champions, on Soldiers Field tomorrow morning at 10:30 o'clock.

Even closer than the Crimson inter-House football race, in which Winthrop and Kirkland tied for first, was the Eli struggle for College grid supremacy. Berkeley finally won out when its chief rival, Saybrook, was tied. Before the Saybrook deadlock, four teams had been tied for the title.

Deacons Lost Last Year

The Deacons will attempt to reverse last year's decisions against the Elis, which saw Kirkland go down to a 14-0 defeat to Vanderbilt. On the basis of reports from Yale, and on the Deacons' performances this fall, the contest should be an even one.

The entire Kirkland squad is in top shape, having been fortunate in the matter of injuries. The probable starters tomorrow are almost the same players as Coach Bernie White has used throughout the season.

In spite of a hard thumping in the last two games, wingman Pate Wentworth at left end can be relied upon to stop anything in the way of end sweeps that come his way. Likewise Jim Digel at the other end is strong defensively. At the tackies are stocky, 175-pound Dee Thompson and Bill Hurit.

Guards Strong

The guard situation is the brightest spot in the line, with Dave Grey, a spirited defensive player who ranks as one of the best of House guards, teaming up with any one of three running mates, Dave Polansky, John Addington, and Dwight Dickinson. All three have split the guard assignment.

Jerry Hall at center is a strong defensive lineman, his 185 pounds giving the middle of the Deacon wall needed weight. Hall's passing has not been of the best recently, but the last few days' practice have ironed out his difficulties.

The backfield averages about 170 pounds, about the same as the line. In the blocking back post is Roy Moore, a speedy and effective interferer for Jack McClure, tailback, on the latter's off-tackle smashes. The two occasionally switch positions as in the last Winthrop game.

Foster High Scorer

McClure has handled the kicking well in every game and also manages the throwing end of the Deacon aerial attack. He is shifty, and is the longest ground-gainer on the team. As a punt receiver, his performance has not been so impressive.

Calling signals is Al Silverberg, and his alternate, Don McSweeney. Silverberg stands out as a blocker, while McSweeney due to his speed carries the ball a good deal when he is in. Spark plug of the team, with guard Dave Grey, is Earl Foster, fullback, who leads the House league in scoring with six touchdowns.