AMES COMPETITION HITS SEMI-FINALS

Powell, Warren, Holmes, and Simpson. Sayre Clubs Remain in Fight; Noted Judges Preside

The four best student law "teams" at the Law School will meet in the semifinal arguments of the Ames Competition this Wednesday and Thursday. The arguments, held before outstanding eastern state and federal judges, will be at 8 o'clock in the Langdell Hall Court Room.

The Powell and Edward Warren Clubs will argue Wednesday on a hypothetical case involving points of taxation, corporate reorganization, and statutory construction. Thursday, the Holmes and Simpson-Sayre Clubs will argue points in watered stock and the law of corporations.

Winners Contest in January

These clubs are the survivors of a two-year moot-court competition, which about 65 clubs originally entered during the students' first year at the school. Winners of this week's arguments will meet in January for the finals of the Ames Competition.

The "bench" on Wednesday night will be Judge Morris A. Stoper, of the United States circuit Court of Appeals for the Fourth District; Judge Horace Stern, of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania; and Judge Vincent L. Leibell of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.

The Thursday case will be argued before Chief Justice Fred T. Field, of the Supreme Court of Massachusetts; Justice William W, Moss, of the Supreme Court of Rhode Island; and Judge Robert N. Gorman, of the Supreme Court of Ohio.

Counselors

Counsel for the Powell Club will be Walter R. Bellatti, Jacksonville, Illinois, and Phil E. Gilbert Jr., Evanston, Illinois for the Warren Club, John O. Rhome Jr., West Allenhurst, New Jersey and Donald O. Shurtleff, Lincoln, Nebraska; for the Holmes Club, John H. Ferguson, Oklahoma City, and John E. O'Keefe Jr., Carthage, Missouri and for the Simpson-Sayre Club, Robert Braucher, of Massapequa, New York and Robert B. Wolf, of Elkins Park, Maryland.

The student counselors in each club were assisted in the brief preparation by six fellow club-members. They are, for the Powell Club: John T. Binkley Jr., Houston, Texas; George B. Lester, San Remo, Italy; R. Gordon Scott Jr., Dedham; Irvin L. Stephenson, Salt Lake gles 14; Green Bay Packers 28, Detroit Lions 7; Chicago Bears 31, Washington Redskins 7