Harriers Oppose 20 Rivals in IC4A Run in New York Today

Coach Mikkola Takes Eight Men To Van Cortlandt Park Race Course for Classic

The following eight harriers were with Coach Mikkola and Manager Tobey Smith when the team entrained for New York yesterday afternoon: Captain Roswell Brayton, Dave Simboll, Penn Tuttle, Gene Clark, Bob Nichols, Charlie Old-father, Joe McLoughlin and Dick Wing.

Undefeated in its dual meets this year, the Crimson Cross Country team will face runners from 20 other colleges in the Intercollegiate Cross country race this afternoon. The event will start at 3 o'clock and be run in New York's Van Cortlandt Park, stiffest course in the East.

Michigan Favored

Generally favored in the event is Michigan; for the Wolverines are bringing a strong team. Penn state, noted for its Cross Country runners year in and year out, is also expected to furnish formidable opposition.

However, if all goes smoothly the Harvard team should live up to Jaako Mikkola's prediction--"they ought to do well."

The individual title should be closely contested, but unless there is a marked reversal of form none of the Crimson harriers stand much chance. Captain Clark of Yale established himself as the favorite with a convincing win in a Yale meet over the same course early in the fall, and his victory in the Triangular Race at Princeton has strengthened this 'belief. Observers are also watching Penn State's Billy Smith, last year's Freshman winner.

1931 Last Champs

The last time Harvard won the Inter-collegiates was in 1931 when Penn Hallowell, one of the greatest of the long string of distance men Jaako has developed, was captain of the team. Best recent individual performance for the Crimson was Art Foote's fourth in the record-smashing 1932 event.