EBB, HARVIN WIN AMES AWARD HERE

In Memory of Harvard Men Who Lost Their Lives on the Sea Trying To Rescue Father

Lawrence F. Ebb '39, of Dorchester, and J. Spence Harvin '39, of Fort Worth, Texas, have been awarded the Ames Scholarship for 1938-39, it was announced last night at a meeting of the Student Council.

This is the second time the prize has been divided, and the fourth time it has been voted, since it was established in 1935. Based on a fund of $300 set aside annually by the Council, the Ames Scholarship is, according to the Council's constitution, to be awarded to men who "have shown energy in helping themselves and who, as well, exhibit the sterling character and inspiring leadership that were qualities of Richard and Henry Ames."

The Scholarship was established to honor the memory of the two Ames boys, who were lost at sea in a vain effort to rescue their father, Robert Russell Ames '07, in 1935. The committee making the award was composed of Mrs. Ames, mother of the two boys, Dean Hanford, and the president and treasurer of the Council.

Richard B. Johnson '36, and C. Colmery Gibson '37 divided the Scholarship the first year it was awarded, and John B. Bowditch '37 was the winner the next year. Sheldon Ware '38 was chosen last year.

Ebb was a Junior Eight member of Phi Beta Kappa, and is President of the Debating Council, while Harvin is Secretary of the Student Council, and chairman of the Leverett House Committee. Both will have their names inscribed on the carved plaque with the other winners in the Ames Room, headquarters of the Council, in Phillips Brooks House.