EDUCATION FOR THE CITIZEN II

Almost a fourth of last year's graduating class had never taken a course in History, Government, or Economics, and all indications point to an even larger proportion during the next few years. If this trend is contrasted with the growing complexity of the political conditions that graduates will have to face, it becomes more evident that Harvard should take some steps to require a background in the social sciences.

But can a single course supply such a background? Will it not be too superficial to be of any lasting value? This is another objection to the idea, but the answer seems to be that History 1, Government 1, and Economics A have certain advantages in this case which make them worthwhile in spite of a possible superficiality. If well taught, one such course can open up an entirely new field of thought to the student, and can help to jolt loose many of the biases that have been based on ignorance. It can give him some ability to pick the right material for future reading, and more important still, awaken a new interest in him which will lead to a desire for more of this type of reading, even if it is only the political news in the daily press. Finally, by starting this train of consequences, it should enable him to vote more intelligently and take part in discussions with greater ability.

To obtain this result, it is essential that these courses be well organized and made as attractive as possible. Improvements along this line might be gained in the future by employing men who could spend more time on their teaching work. Also, students who did not intend to go on in the field might be put in special sections where there could be a more general and popular approach to the subject, or there might even be separate courses for this purpose as in the Physics Department.

It should not be thought that this proposition has for its purpose the increase of concentration in the social sciences. In many ways the tendency to overemphasize these subjects at the expense of the purely cultural liberal arts courses is regrettable. But it does seem necessary that every student have at least a grounding in political principles in view of the chaotic governmental and economic problems of today.