HOCKEY OPENER NEARS WITH FEW MEN PLACED

Captain Harding, Right and Left Wings Only Sure Positions; No Scrimmages, Drill Is Stressed

With two weeks to go before the season's opener with the Junior Olympics, Coach Clark Hodder's choices for key Varsity hockey posts are still pretty much a matter of conjecture.

About the only positions that have been filled definitely as a result of practice thus far is the first line with Captain Austic Harding, mainstay of this year's squad at center, Win Jameson and Warren Winslow at left and right wings respectively.

Personnel of the second and third lines has not been decided upon as yet. The only letterman combination other than the first line is the trio of Joe Patrick, Freddie deRahm and Jack Cunningham, while last year's Freshman line of Bob Cox, Joe Willetts, and Stacy Hulse is being kept intact.

Most of the work done in Garden practices has stressed fundamentals, with no scrimmaging as yet. Progress thus far has been slightly impeded by the delay in the construction of the new Boston Skating Club rink. Because of this, Coach Hodder was forced to make a second cut after Wednesday's practice until better facilities make it possible to take some of the men cut back onto the squad.

One of the biggest problems that Hodder faces this season will be that of replacing holes made in the Crimson defense by the graduation of Traff Hicks, Gene Emerson, and Russ Allen, last year's captain. Charlie Houghton is the only returning letterman from last year's defense, although two Juniors, Forbes and Bill Coleman, both saw service last year.

Skeets Canterbury, veteran coach of Crimson goalies, has three lettermen competing for the net job this year in Dave Mittel, Vint Freedley, and Howard Johnson.