Curley Says Harvard Should Give Him Its Liberal Votes

Recalls Riot, Saying Students Should Have More Regard For Fellow Men

By Blair Clark

Former Governor James Michael Curley in an interview with the CRIMSON yesterday at his Boston headquarters declared that the Harvard community should vote for him in spite of the fact that his opponent, Leverett Saltonstall '14, is a graduate of the University.

He also recalled the Freshman-American Legion riot last month, and said that students here "should have a more decent regard for the rights of their fellow men."

Asked whether he or Saltonstall most truly represented the liberalism which Harvard had stood for in the history of Massachusetts, Curley, weighing each word he uttered in his suave and cultured voice, spoke as follows:

Saltonstall Reactionary

"Men should be elected to public office in conformity with the public record established by them in office. Mr. Saltonstall's record has been thoroughly reactionary, and during the course of his public office he has given protection solely to properly rights and disregarded human rights which, in my opinion, are more important."

Curley was shown a copy of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts guaranteeing the "powers, authorities, rights, liberties, privileges, immunities, and franchises" of Harvard College, and asked whether the state should not assume the burden of tax exemption which now resides with the municipalities.

"The law granting exemption to colleges is sound and should be continued," he replied.

Students Must Behave

On the subject of the University's relations with the public, and particularly the recent disturbances in Cambridge, Curley talked at some length, enunciating each word with sermon-like emphasis.

"An institution as ancient as Harvard," he said, "and with the traditions in which Harvard has justifiable pride, should serve as an inspiration and model to the remainder of the community. The students should have a more decent regard for the rights of their fellow men. In my judgement it is essential that this should be enforced by the University if it is to hold the esteem of the public which it has enjoyed in the past."