COLLEGE PRESENTS STATUE TO NATION

War Secretary Accepts Replica, Of General Ward in Washington Ceremonies

Secretary of War Harry H. Woodring formally accepted for the United States Government yesterday the University's bronze gift to the nation, a statue of Major General Artemas Ward, of the class of 1748, first Commander-in-Chief of the Continental army.

The work of art was unveiled yesterday in public ceremonies at Washington. Henry L. Shattuck, Fellow and former treasurer of the University made the presentation in the presence of Frederic A. Delano, chairman of the National Capital Parks and Planning Commission, and Charles R. Warren, member of the Board of Overseers.

Leonard Crunelle was the sculptor of the monument, made possible through a bequest to the University amounting to over five million dollars from a descendant of the General.

Artemas Ward served as a representative in the Massachusetts General Court in the period leading up to the war. As an officer in the Continental Army he directed the siege of Boston and trained recruits. When Washington was made commander of the forces he took charge of the right wing and seized Dorchester Heights, forcing Howe's evacuation of Boston.