FOR THE CURIOUS

When the Lowell House undergraduate symposium takes place next week, a significant protest against overspecialization will, consciously or not, have been recorded. Not only because of its interesting subject matter but also because of the novel method of presentation, the symposium should be a success.

For the problem of too narrow fields of concentration such schemes as the Lowell House symposium provide a partial solution. Around the subject of Darwinian theory have been gathered scientists, historians, theologians, economists, and philosophers. By arranging for each student to present the ideas of some influential or typical thinker of the 1850's, everyone participating will presumably gain the viewpoint of all the rest. If such a program can be built about this subject, other equally valuable symposia could be held on the American Civil War, for example, or on the political repercussions of the industrial revolution. Much will depend on the success of next week's experiment; but it can safely be said that great possibilities for valuable and stimulating discussion are to be found in this new version of inter-field activity.