NIEMAN AWARDS TO BE CONTINUED AGAIN NEXT YEAR

Journalists From All Parts of Country Will Apply for Chance to Study for Year at Harvard

Once again, under the Nieman Fellowship plan, newspaper reporters and editorial men will be given the opportunity to spend one year in study at the University along any lines of interest they many choose. The University announced last night that the fellowship plan, an experiment this year, will be continued next year.

Fellowship recipients have open to them all privileges generally tendered the members of the university. They are awarded stipends, in most cases, equivalent to their professional income, These fellowships are supported by the Lucius W. Nieman and Agnes Want Nieman Fund, and provide free tuition.

Nine Men Received Award

During the past year, nine newspaper men who have had at least three years of experience in their work have been studying here under the Nieman plan. Formal course instruction has not been the keynote, but merely contributes toward a program of seminars, private reading, and informal discussion with teacher and students.

Weekly dinners are held for the Nieman fellows at which they meet leading newspaper men, faculty members, and students. Among the outstanding journalistic guests of this year are Walter Lippman, William Allen White, and Alexander Woolcott. President Conant, many professors and officers of the CRIMSON have attended these gatherings.

Until March 1, applications will be coming in from all parts of the country. While there are no actual stipulations as to age or formal education, all applicants are expected to have spent at least three years in journalistic work. Recipients of the fellowship awards will be studying during a leave of absence from their papers.