Commuter Pitcher Blanks Elephants; Lowell 19 Hit Attack Defeats puritans

Bellboys Lead in Indoor Baseball Race at End of One Week

Spiking Eliot's big offensive guns in the clutches, Larry Alexander, Commuter hurler, held the hitherto undefeated Elephants scoreless to lead his Dudley teammates to a 2-0 win in an indoor baseball game at Briggs Cage yesterday. Lowell pounded out 19 hits to gain a 10-5 victory over Winthrop in the night-cap.

Although they had men on base in almost every inning, Eliot could not get hits when they were most needed. Dudley got both its runs in a third inning rally. Rip Metaxes pitched for the Elephants in the absence of Steve Madey, regular twirler. Mel Freedman caught for Eliot, while Bernie Fisher served behind the plate for the Commuters.

Tight Race

Eliot's defeat tightens the race which Lowell leads at the end of the first week with three victories and no defeats, while Eliot and Dudley are tied for second with two victories and one defeat apiece.

Lowell, league leaders, went berserk in the first inning and scored six runs. Winthrop counted five times in the fifth. Jeff Levin, John Fisher, and Bud Doering pitched for Lowell while Dave Storey caught. The Winthrop battery was composed of Ross Downs and Charlie Baumgarten.