NEW TWISTS ADDED TO REQUIRED HIGH DIVES

NCAA Puts Flip on Swans, Takes Jacks From Jacknives; Elen's Divers Must Learn Four New Ones

By Charles N. Pollak ii

Harvard's divers face new problems this year. The National Collegiate Athletic Association has made important changes in the five compulsory dives from the three-meter or high board, with the result that four new required dives will have to be learned for the coming season by the Crimson springboard experts.

The required dives for the low board remain the same as before, but the high board is used for all meets if the opposing team's divers have three-meter facilities at their home pool. First new dive is the "flying somersault forward, running," which is simply a conventional swan dive with a quick flip on the end of it. The "somersault backward" is just what it says it is except that the diver's body is kept perfectly stiff throughout the dive.

How To Get Wet

The third compulsory dive is the familiar half-gainer with pike (jack-knife position), while the fourth is described as the "backward spring, forward dive. This flip-flop is the same as the regular back-jack-knife, but it omits the jack. Fifth dive, the "half-twist backward," is the fourth dive with a half-twist added, the diver entering the water facing the springboard.

The five optional dives used in a meet offer a larger repertoire, there being several new optionals of the "Flying" variety--all of which begin with a swan, then turn into something else. Captain Rusty Greenhood, league champion, Chet Sagenkahn, George Dana, and a host of Sophomore aspirants are now practicing these new methods of getting into the water.