Quintet Speeds Practice For MIT Opener

Twelve Players Used in Session With Aggressive Yardling Combination as Season Approaches

Coach Wes Fesler sent his Varsity hoopmen through another long workout yesterday as he speeded up preparations for the opening game of the season with M. I. T. next Tuesday. Highlight of the practice session was a long scrimmage with Skip Stahley's Yardlings.

Fesler continued to experiment with different combinations, and it was difficult to select a first team out of the twelve men he used. One white-shirted Varsity quintet had Charley Lutz and Dick Sullivan at the forwards, Homer Peabody at center, with Captain Lupe Lupien and Fred Heckel in the back court.

Another Varsity Five

The other five which scrimmaged against the Stahleymen was composed of Chet Legg and Rick Rabenold as forwards, Bill Humes at the pivot post, and Sam White and Doug MacLeod at the guard spots. Fran Simpson and Bill McSweeney also saw service as reserves sent in to face the stream of first year men used by Stahley.

These same Yardlings have had no chance to work together as a team, but they have rapidly reached the scrimmage state and have been able to assist Fesler as he whips his squad into shape for the curtain-raiser in M. I. T.'s Hangar Gymnasium.

Stahley's Yardlings

Skip Stahley has made his first Freshman squad cut, and another is contemplated within a few days. Yesterday he sent three complete teams against the Varsity and inserted numerous substitutions throughout a lengthy practice session. It was impossible to single out any individual stars, but several showed to advantage during the afternoon.

John Gelvin, Gene Keith, Red Navin, Jack Penson, Les Pitchford, and Ed Rothschild give the squad a wealth of height which was lacking last year. Ed Buckley, John Flint, Mike Rice, John Righy, and Joe Romano are some of the other men who have faced the Varsity in the past few days.