COLOGNE TRIO TO GIVE CONCERT ON THURSDAY

Harpsichord, Recorder Flute, Viola da Gamba Will Interpret Classics at Germanic Museum

Music form a harpsichord, viola da gamba, and recorder flute will fill the Germanic Museum on Thursday evening when the Cologne Chamber Music Trio is scheduled to play.

Presented under the auspices of the Division of Music, the Department of Germanie Languages and Literatures, and the Germanic Museum, the Trio is now making its first tour of the United States. Its members have given performances in the leading capitals of Europe and at the Paris Exhibition.

Represented on the program are works of Bach, Frederick the Great, Haydn, Ramean, Vivaldi, and other renowned composers. In addition to being a statesman, Frederick the Great was a zealous musician, composing extensively for and playing the flute.

The Cologne Trio includes Karl Pillney, professor at the Cologne College of Music, who will play the harpsichord and who has revised and published several of Bach's works for this instrument; karl Schwanberger, professor at the same college and formerly a member of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, who specializes in the violoncello and viola da zamba; and Reinhard Fritsche, a wellknown flute and solo artist of the Bluethner Orchestra in Borlin.

The Trio uses authentic period instruments and the audience will have the opportunity of hearing the kind of music which prevailed at the court of Sanessouci and Versailles during the reign of Frederick the Great and Marie Antoinette.

The instrument Pillney uses is an exact reproduction of an old harpsichord. Unlike the piano, the harpsichord, the tone of which is suggestive of the guitar, has no hammers and its strings are plucked with little quills.