"Jaakko," New Game, Is Popular Sport in Houses

Latest undergraduate craze appears to be the game of "Jaakko," pronounced the same way as the Varsity track coach's first name, viz, "Yaake."

This new diversion for long winter evenings first cropped up in Lowell House where it is now rapidly replacing all other House sports. In principle it is simple. If the contestants feel like good sports they divide into two teams, one of which defends the fireplace against the efforts of the others to kick a tennis ball past the andirons. If the players feel like bad sports the practice is to assign one person, someone not very well liked to defend the hearth against all attacks. This has been the most popular form of the game.

Jaakko calls for some slight revision of the topography of the room it is played in. This consists of piling all the furniture, radio, rugs, and room-mates in one isolated corner of the room, leaving ample space for the rest of the boys to romp. The pastime is reported to have derived its name from the sound a contestant makes when his midriff is mistaken for the tennis ball.