MASS MEETING ON REFUGEES SLATED

Football Captain Chairman; Hanford, Lane to Talk at Gathering of Boston Area College Students

Dorothy Thompson, Eddie Cantor, and Governor-elect Leverett Saltonstall '14 swill speak in Sanders Theatre tomorrow night a 8 o'clock at a mass meeting of college students in the Boston area who are interested in the German refuges problem.

Robert L. Green '39, captain of the 1938 football team, will wield the gavel at the meeting, which is being sponsored by the Harvard Refugee Committee. Other speakers scheduled are Dean Hanford, and Robert E. Lane '39, chairman of the Committee.

To date University authorities have denied the Committee permission to distribute piedge cards and to collect contributions at the gathering. With all local colleges placarded, the sponsors announced last night that they expect a capacity audience of 1340.

Speakers to Outline Plan

Speakers will explain Harvard plan to bring 20 refugee students here on scholarships next year, and will outline the general nature of the refugee problem and the forces being marshalled to meet it. Lane will report on the progress of the drive for contributions to date.

Miss Thompson, retud journalist and columnist and the author of "The New Russia," "I Saw Hitler," and "Refugees," will leave a sick-bed to speak here, it was learned last night. Stage, screen, and radio comedian, Cantor numbers among his philanthropic projects the founding of the Eddie Cantor Camp Committee, which sends poor city boys to the country for two weeks vacation each summer.

Saltonstall, who triumphed over exGovernor James M. Curley in the recent Massachusetts gubernatorial race, will complete the trio of guest speakers.

Miss Thompson recently started a fund to delend Hershel Grynspan, Jewish boy whose shooting of a Nazi diplomat in Paris precipitated the new wave of Jewish persecution in Germany.