Professor Prall Answers Objections Voiced Against Harvard Refugee Plan

Philosopher Discounts Adverse Criticism; Action Will Help Americans, He Says

By D. W. Prall

Professor of Philosophy

The present persecutions of Jews in Germany are what are commonly called outrages. They are properly so called by people who believe that decency in behavior is one of the elementary rules of action for civilized community is built. They are outrages politically as well as morally. But they are outrages first of all because they offend normal human feeling; it takes pathological terms to describe the men who can dictate such acts, as well as the man whose "healthy" instincts thrive on committing them. If we bring ourselves to any vivid realization of them they become unbearable.

Now what is a man to do when his human feeling, his civilized sense of decency, and his explicit democratic principles are outraged? If he is an academic person or, like college students, under the influence of academic persons he does not immediately act, he "takes thought." But even a man of thought may act. And if he acts soon enough, he may help matters.

It has been proposed that we answer these persecutions by bringing over twenty German students to be education at Harvard. This is a project that will take not only thought, but energy, time and money. Instead of boiling over with futile talk, here is a chance to do something. There are people to be convinced; there is money to be raised; practical means must be devised for selecting the students and getting them started here. A committee has been set up the collection of funds has begun.