VARSITY QUINTET WINS UPHILL BATTLE, 31-26

CHARLEY LUTZ COUNTS 14 POINTS TO PACE OFFENSE

The Crimson hoopmen left the floor of the Indoor Athletic Building trailing by 10 points and having all the appearances of a beaten team at the end of the first half of their game with the Northeastern Huskies last night, but they returned an entirely different five after the intermission and went on to score a great comeback victory, 31 to 26.

Climaxing a bitter uphill fight by the inimitable Charley Lutz, Sam White got the bucket that put the Feslermen into a 26 to 25 lead with the clock showing only five minutes to play. After this they were never headed and went merrily on their way to chalk up a well-earned triumph.

About Faces

The Crimson quintet kept that ball moving in the second half, and they proved that they could drive up the floor quickly when the opportunity presented itself. The team worked as a unit, and Northeastern found their tight man-for-man defense of the first period split wide open.

The visitors earned their 19 to 9 edge at half-time because the Feslermen were sloppy in their defensive efforts. Cap- tain Lupe Lupien and Sam White stiffened that defense and held the surprised Buskies to a mere seven points for the whole second half. They had an able partner in that work in the person of Sophomore Homer Peabody who fought for the ball every second of the game.

Fred Heckel and Charley Lutz collected 21 points between them, and most of these markers came in that hectic last half drive. Lutz tallied six baskets and two free throws, but this does not tell all of the story of his offensive work. He was worth many more points to the Crimson as he literally ran circles around Northeastern's Jim Connolly.

The Summary:

Harvard (31)  FG  FT  F  TPLutz, f.  6  2  3  14Heckel, f.g.  3  1  1  7Sullivan, f.  0  0  0  0Peabody, c.  2  3  3  7White, g.  1  0  1  2Lupien, g.  0  1  0  1  --  --  --  --Totals  12  7  8  31N. U. (26)Gleason, f.  3  0  3  6Gurnoy, f.  3  3  2  9Smith, c.  0  0  1  0Almstrong, c.  0  0  0  0Connolly, g.  2  4  2  8Toucey, g.  1  0  3  2Rogers, g.  0  1  1  1  --  --  --  --Totals  9  8  12  2