BOLLES TO PUT BOATS OUT ON RIVER MONDAY

3 MEMBERS OF '37 BOAT PRESENT AT MEETING LAST NIGHT

At a meeting of all Varsity and 150 pound crew candidates at the Varsity Club last night, Head Coach Tom Bolles announced that, weather permitting he will send seasoned crews out on the river for short stretches starting Monday, marking the earliest time that Crimson oarsmen have taken to the Charles.

Captain James F. Chace '38 and Coach Bert Haines of the 150 pound crew also spoke as the plans for the coming rowing campaign were outlined. Formal rowing will begin at the Newell Boat House on Monday, with the tank reserved for the Varsity on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and for Yardlings on Tuesday and Thursday until all crews can be sent out on the river.

Veterans Present

Veterans of last year's crew present last night were Doughlas Erickson '38 at 6, John H. Gardiner '38 at 5, and John R. Clark '38, who rowed at 4 in spring races last year, and was shifted to the jayvees in the Yale race. Converted to a starboard oar, he and William N. Dearborn '38, number 7 in last year's Junior Varsity, are considered outstanding candidates for the starboard stroke position, filled by Paul Austin '37 last season.

Leading in the race for number 4, rowed by Reginald D. Kernan '37 last spring, are Chandler Hovey, Jr., '39, Phillip Dean '39, and John L. Senior, Jr. '38, Bolles declines to predict the most likely candidates for the two bow seats, vacated by Roger W. Cutler, Jr. '37, and William C. Haskins '37.

White or Shortlidge May Cox

To fill the shoes of Edward Bennett '37, Captain and cox of last year's outfit, Bolles will probably call on either Edward T. White '38, sox of the Junior Varsity boat last year, or George B. Shotlidge '40, former Yardling cox-swain.

Launches will not be put on the river until all danger of freezing is over. On Wednesday, with Coach Bolles himself holding down the bow seat, a pickup boat of past and present Varsity oarsmen went out on the Charles for a short workout. Last year the Crimson fleet was launched on February 20, but was driven indoors for two weeks early in March.

In a successful season last year, the Varsity crew was only defeated at the sprint distances once, when a Navy boat crossed the line with a lead of a third of a length, and beat Yale in a record breaking upstream race at New London.

The Varsity will open its season on April 30, when it meets M.I.T. and Rugers on the Charles. Subsequent races will be with Princeton, M.I.T. and Syracuse at Princeton on May 7; with Cornell, Syracuse and M.I.T. on May 14