HALL AGAINST HALL

Last Spring a group of enthusiastic Freshmen got together and played several softball games with the idea of developing competition between the various Halls. Although the series petered out rather soon, it showed the possibility of a miniature inter-House system in the Yard which would fill the gap for the large number of Freshmen who do not make the squads but who want something more than unexciting compulsory exercise three times a week. Yet such a system demands organization, and that organization must be brought about by the Freshmen themselves, more particularly the Union Committee.

A large soft baseball is not the only missile that could be flying among the Halls, footballs, basketballs, and squash balls could be added to the collection. These sports could be organized on an inter-Hall basis requiring very few athletic facilities that are not already allotted to Freshmen. It would be easy to have softball and tag football games at Soldiers Field; squash courts and basketball courts would not be much harder to find. In these sports, conducted with all the rivalry and informality of House games, Freshmen could stretch their legs far more pleasantly than wandering aimlessly around a tennis court or a squash court three times a week.

The Athletics Association has shown interest and a willingness to help, but the Freshmen must take the initiative, for they are the only ones who can put an inter-Hall organization on its feet. The Union Committee is in charge, and it is up to them to set in motion this spring an organization that will give the Class of 1942 the ground works for further development. If one or two boys were chosen from each Hall to hunt out all those interested, the chances are that the rest of the Freshman class would respond, and an invaluable Freshman institution might be started.