Queen Brooks Rules Snowless Kingdom At Twenty-Eighth Dartmouth Carnival

1200 Girls Dance, Skate at Winter Classic; Green Ski Team Scores Grand Slam

Queen Katherine Avila Brooks, 17 year old high school student from Tulsa, Oklahoma, held a snowless court in the hills of New Hampshire this week-end as 1200 girls from as far away as Mexico City converged on Dartmouth to dance and skate, but not to ski, at the twenty-eighth annual mid-winter extravaganza.

Fraternity dances, skating, and the intercollegiate ski meet which drew teams from Germany and Canada featured the week-end. Competent observers claimed that Miss Brooks had plenty of competition for the crown in a field of beauties unsurpassed in carnival history. She likes spinach, weighs 125 pounds.

On snow trucked in and packed by hand, the Green jumpers swooped to victory Saturday before a crowd of 4500 as they climaxed a clean sweep of the meet with a perfect score of 500. Threatened to the end by the University of Munich delegation, the Dartmouth ski-men were led to victory by Dick Durrance and Howard Chivers, who coralled firsts in the downhill, slalom, and langlauf events.

Norwegians First In Jump

Although Nils Eie of Oslo, Norway, took first in jumping with 36.76 points, Dartmouth captured team honors in that event to keep a clean slate. Because of the exceptionally fast surface on the runway, the jumpers took off from a rope stretched across the chute 50 feet below the platform, and jumps were consequently shorter than if the full length of the take-off had been utilized.

Harvard skiers finished in fifth place, with 356.5 points, topping Yale's total of 301.8. Trailing the Green snowmen were Munich in second place, and McGill and New Hampshire in third and fourth respectively.

Richard Brooks of Gloucester, no relation to the Queen, sculped his way to victory in the ice-carving contest with a portrayal of Eleazor Wheelock, Dartmouth's John Harvard, ski-joring his way over the pages of history.

Today is Blue Monday at Dartmouth. The Dartmouth Coop (pronounced "Coop") will be having a mark-down sale of ski clothes. Perhaps next year there will be snow.