REPORT OF SECRET CLAUSE IN LABOR CONTRACT DENIED

University to Continue to Pick Best Man for Job and Will Probably Keep Present Ratio

By Charles L. Bigelow

Many of the rumors that followed in the wake of the contract signed on Saturday with the A. F. of L. cooks and waitresses were spiked by a statement made to the CRIMSON yesterday by John W. Lowes '19, Financial Vice-president of the University, whose remarks were confirmed by Joseph Stefani, secretary and business representative of locals 186 and 112.

The most persistent report, served gratuitously with many a meal in House dining halls. Was to the effect that a "secret clause," "another paper" had been agreed to at the same time whereby the University ceded the union a preferential shop.

The statement that a secret clause virtually established a preferential shop and that this meant that henceforth all new workers would be supplied directly through the unions is not correct," Lowes asserted.

Those who adhere to the "secret clause" school-an implication that would cast doubt on the ethics of Harvard and the Union alike-have probably been misled by a letter from Lowes to Stefani which was read at the time the contract was signed.

The letter which has already been printed in these columns, is dated January and assures the union that the University will in no way discriminate against as members.

In the event of an open shop contract, the letter continues, "the University would be entirely prepared to use the offices of the Unions, in addition to the sources now used by it, as a means of procuring new applicants for employment."

Lowes maintained that the University had never fixed the extent to which it would make use of the union in securing new employees. He implied that an attempt would be made to maintain the present ratio of union to non-union workers. The University would feel free to hire the best man for the job, but would be scrupulously fair to the A. F. of L.

Stefani, who has often confessed great respect for Lowes and other officers of the University, seem disposed to let matters stand as they were. Denying that any "secret clause" existed, he said that none was necessary. "We can trust them to be on the level," he declared.