Woman Journalist, Leftist Prisoner, to Speak About Spain

Jane Anderson, Anti-Communist, Here Under Auspices of Conservatives

Jane Anderson, "the world's greatest woman orator in the fight against communism," who as a war correspondent in Spain for the New York American narrowly escaped death in front of a Loyalist firing squad only to be thrown in prison for six weeks, will speak in Emerson D at 7:30 o'clock tonight.

Sponsored by the Young Conservatives, Miss Anderson will talk on "The Truth About Communist and Nationalist Spain."

Although for several years married to a Spaniard, the Marquis de Cienguegos, she had retained her American citizenship and was eventually released after 43 days in a prison that had once been a convent, through the intervention of the United States State Department.

Claiming that Russian propaganda and funds engineered the "Leftist uprising" in Spain, Miss Anderson stated shortly after her release that when the Communists first came into power, "In three months, 22,000 civilians were put to death in Madrid alone, and 300,000 throughout Spain. During this same period, 20,000 churches were profaned, pillaged, or burned, while 15,800 priests, brothers, and nuns were martyred."

The Marquesa also said recently, "$10,000,000 has been sent to Spain from the United States, for the purpose of making bullets which were to kill off Catholics."