JANE ANDERSON FLAYS RED MENACE IN SPAIN

Anti-Communist War Correspondent Describes Experience as Prisoner Of Loyalists

An unruly, discourteous audience of 250 last night attended the first open meeting of the Young Conservatives, held in Emerson D, and heard the Marquessa de Cienfuegos, nee June Anderson, speak on her experiences in Spain and the Red Menace in this country.

The Marquessa, who got her first job reporting London air raids during the World War for the tabloid Daily Mail, was in Spain last year covering the Loyalist front for Hearst, and testified that she had been arrested and imprisoned for 43 days in a rat-infested dungeon without being told the charges against her or being given a chance to communicate with consular officials. (The N. Y. Times for Oct. 11, 1936 reports that the charge was espionage --Ed.)

Handicapped by a curious diction and the fact that many of her audience held different political beliefs, the Marquessa was not altogether mistress of the occasion. Nevertheless, she took criticism in good part and such questions as she could not answer by specific information she turned aside. Ignoring many breaches of good taste, she later made a statement thanking the Student Body for their "fine spirit of fair play."