PROFESSOR GREENOUGH DIES IN BELMONT

Appointed to Post by President Lowell in 1930; Funeral Will Take Place Tomorrow

Chester Noyes Greenough '98, professor of English, died suddenly at his home in Belmont at 7 o'clock yesterday morning. Although in rather poor health for several years, he had never completely given up his teaching activity here.

During the fall he contracted a severed case of grippe. On Thursday night he was taken ill with a small infection from which he did not recover.

Funeral Services for Professor Greenough will be held in Memorial Church at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Dean Sperry will conduct the ceremony.

The 64-year-old professor had been active in teaching circles since 1899, when he was appointed an instructor in English. After three years spent as professor of English at Illinois, Greenough was appointed assistant professor of English here in 1910 and full professor in 1915.

Upon the resignation of dean Yeomans in 1919 Greenough became acting dean of the College. In 1921 he was appointed dean, in which position he continued until 1927. In this capacity he effected complete reorganization of the executive set-up of the dean's office.

When Dunster and Lowell House were completed in 1930, President Lowell appointed Greenough to the position of Master of Dunster House, at the same time Julian L. Coolidge '95 became Master of Lowell House. Greenough played an important part in working out the various plans which preceded the opening of the Houses.

He continued as Master of Dunster House until four years ago, when he decided to confine himself to his teaching alone. Last year he taught English 40 and again this year began to conduct the course. Poor health forced him to discontinue his teaching activity this fall, although he had hoped his retirement was only temporary.

Lifelong hobby of Professor Greenough was fishing. He is survived by his wife step-sons.

Noted Author

A world-renowned authority on English literature of the 17th and 18th centuries, Greenough was also a distinguished author. He was co-author with the late Professor Barrett Wendell of "History of Literature in America."

Addison, Steele, Dryden, and Pope were the men to whom Greenough devoted most of his studies. He edited the "Selections from the Writings of Joseph Addison" and wrote numerous articles on the Tatler and the Spectator.

Former head of English A. Greenough was one of the editors of "Writing Well," one of the best known college textbooks on English composition.