FRESHMEN TO HEAR GOV. EARLE MONDAY EVENING

POSSIBLE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE FOR 1940 ELECTION

Governor George H. Earle '11 of Pennsylvania will speak to the Freshman Class in the Union at 7:30 o'clock on Monday, it was announced last night by Langdon P. Marvin, Jr. '41 Chairman of the Union Committee.

Governor Earle's subject has not been definitely announced, although Marvin stated that part of his speech would probably deal with the problem of relief. No political significance is attached to Earle's visit to Cambridge, as the Governor is coming only for the purpose of addressing the Yardlings and will depart immediately after he has delivered his speech.

Any statements at this time by Governor Earle on political issues are certain to attract widespread attention in view of the fact that he has been mentioned frequently as the possible nominee of the Democratic Party in 1940 should President Roosevelt decline to run for a third term. Liberty's poll of newspaper editors considered him as second only to Roosevelt as the most likely man to be elected in 1940.

Because much interest in Earle's speech is expected, Marvin announced that upperclassmen would also be admitted. A dinner is planned in the Union before the address to which several University officers have been invited.