27-Course College Extension Research Nets Arts Adjunct Degree for Adults

Lowell Institute Offers Funds To Support Twenty-Seven Subjects Here

A Degree of Adjunct in Arts, now offered by the University, caps a 27-course extension study available to men and women in all ranks of life for only $5 for a full year course, as the semester begins this week.

Twenty-seven courses, partially supported from the endowment of the Lowell Institute, are offered by a comission of 11 colleges and education boards and cover a wide field, ranging from Literature and History to Natural Sciences and Philosophy.

According to instructions given out by the University, work extends throughout the college year and students will be tested by examinations and marked on the same scale as in college courses.

Great pains are taken to point out that neither requirements nor examinations are necessary for admission to the fields of study. No credit, however, will be given to these who cut over one-fourth of class meetings.

Harvard and Boston Universities, Tufts, Boston, Wellesley and Simmons College are sponsoring adult education in conjunction with M. I. T., the Museum of Fine Arts, Lowell Institute, the Massachusetts Board of Education, and the Boston School Committee.

Since 1910 when extension work was initiated the enrollment has jumped from 863 to 1440, the number of course from 16 to 27. Most number of courses among 17 departments are in Literature. Robert S. Hillyer '17 Boyslton Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory has been giving a course in Modern Poetry.

Two subjects are offered in the History Department, American Colonial and Russian History, the latter outlined by Micheal Karpovich, assistant professor of history. Only course in philosophy is headed by William E. Becking '01 Alford Professor of Natural Religion, and entitled "The Philosophy of the Modern State."

In Fine Arts, the History of Medieval, Renaissance, and Modern Art is given by Leonard Opdyke, '17 assistant professor of Fine Arts. Edward H. Chamberling, professor of Economics directs study in Elementary Economics while Psychology is taken up in an introductory and specialized course by W. F. Vaughan.