CRIMSON PLAYGOER

"Wine of Choice," With Lesile Banks and Alexander Wooilcott, a Duel Between Liberal and Communist

By E. C. B.

One of the best pictures to come to Boston in many a day is being shown this week at the Met. Entitled "Ruggles of Red Gap," it features an all star cast, including Charles Ruggles, Mary Boland, Charles Laughton, Roland Young, and Zasu Pitts. The unusual combination of talent makes this picture one of the most entertaining and humorous pictures of the year.

If any one star is to be singled out for excellence of characterization, that honor goes to Charles Laughton. The others play more or less stereotyped roles, but Laughton's excellent acting adds greatly to his fame as a versatile and capable actor. As the English valet who leaves the service of an English earl, Roland Young, to become the manservant of the American, Charles Ruggles, he is convincing and often amusing. His adventures in America and the slow transition these effect upon his character and personality comprise the plot of the story. For once he is not the villain, but the hero, and is successful in the role.

Charles Ruggles and Mary Boland turn in excellent performances and supply a great deal of the comedy. Ruggles, as the boisterous American, fond of checked clothes, is especially good.

The stage show this week takes on the character of a Continental revue and is quite varied in content. Dancers, comedians, a magician, and a screen star, make an entertaining revue. Margo, the star of Crime Without Passion, and Rumba is featured.