Former President Alfaro of Panama Relates Progress of Pan Americanism

Reveals Development of Spirit Of International Amity From Beginning

"The Pan American conferences, describe an ascending curve which moves toward the serene heights where twenty-one sovereign nations will assure forever a life of peace, prosperity, and amity" concluded Dr. Ricardo J. Alfaro, former President of the Republic of Panama, in a lecture on the achievements of these conferences at Emerson D last night.

He explained how in a series of seven conferences since 1889 these nations of North and South America have tried to promote common interests. The great importance of these meetings is that they "determine the progress of Pan Americanism."

Promising great things, the Washington conference of 1889 crystallized Pan American sentiment and compulsory arbitration of international problems received the approval of the delegates of a majority of American nations for the first time.

His outline of the work of the succeeding conferences bemoaned the fact that selfish nations have caused retrogressions by refusing to arbitrate unless they would gain. In spite of the predominance of this feeling at the Santiago meeting in 1923, which marked the crisis in Pan American affairs, definite preparation appeared for improvement.

"The foundation for the Code of Public International Law" was laid at Havana in 1938, so the fruits of this conference surpassed all previous works.

But at Montevideo, Uruguay, in 1933 "the fears, suspicion, prejudice, and ill-will of the other days" were replaced by confidence and understanding and Pan American harmony was established.

Alfaro closed with an optimistic prophecy for even better friendship in the future now that international selfishness and the errors of men have been minimized.