A VOTE FOR A LEGENDARY TEACHER

The heathen have their idols, the great American public has its heroes, but the majority of college students prefer legends. Outstanding among the three centuries of legends upon which Harvard can look back are those pertaining to its famous teachers--including such men as Dean Briggs, Kitty, Copey, and Whitehead. Recent educational trends have diverted emphasis from teaching for teaching's sake into channels of research; and although this shift has undoubtedly tended to produce more and better scholars, it has at the same time caused a dearth of "legendary" teachers. Granted that research is the basic element in the teacher's equipment, nevertheless it is wise to have one or two men in every department who will be regarded by students as orators, as a kind of teacher who drives home his knowledge by his technique.

Today there is another name which many students would add to the roster of legendary teachers. In comparison with others, he was here only a short time; while here he was known and liked because he was a superior composition teacher, and because he had a vigorous and stimulating viewpoint on contemporary American literature, not for his considerable research work. Having terminated his connection with the analytical "Saturday Review of Literature," Bernard De Voto may be surprised to learn of strong undergraduate sentiment in favor of his return. This man deserves the chance to continue the teaching work he left unfinished at Harvard.

Both within and without the University such a man as De Voto can have a tremendous personal influence. To Harvard students he can be the symbol of articulation, giving tongue to the art of writing; from the world, his name will attract men of worth. It makes little difference whether the research work of the legendary teacher is lasting; what does make the difference is that the personality of such a man leaves a permanent effect. One of the major responsibilities of the University is toward its students; while research neglects teaching in favor of the advancement of knowledge, teaching, on the contrary, cannot ignore its obvious function. To the student, legendary teaching is the best type, and Bernard De Voto its eminent representative. What greater impulse can there be to justify the demand for his return?