Outdoor Practice Aids Nine's Chances on Spring Trip

BATTING STRESSED

In preparation for the five-game spring tour in the south during the vacation, Coach Fred Mitchell has been driving his baseball men hard since practice opened in the cage in early February.

Yesterday was the second afternoon that the nine was able to practice out-of-doors and should help them considerably. In past years, drill has usually been confined to the Cage until after the Spring holiday. The early start should prove invaluable when the Crimson meets the southern teams.

To date the Mitchellmen have been concentrating on batting so that the hitters will have their "eye" in time for the vacation games.

The first contest will be with the University of Virginia at Charlottesville, following which the Crimson squad will leave for Annapolis where they meet Navy the next day. Thursday the nine meets Georgetown at Washington.

Lafayette plays host to the Varsity on Friday at Easton preceding the first League encounter with Columbia on Saturday at New York. The Lions are regarded as the Dark Horse of the Ivy circuit and may upset the championship hopes of the Crimson.

At present it appears that Paul Doyle is in the lead for the catcher post, while Ed Ingalls, Slim Curtiss, Tom Healey, and Frank Foley are the top hurlers.