BATTER UP

With Yard squirrels romping beneath the elms, soft zephyrs whistling through the Lowell House bells, and even finding their way through the dusty windows of Widener, comes the inevitable demand for a Freshman Soft-ball Baseball league. This year, as in the past, elaborate preparations have been made for its success; managers have been appointed, a preliminary enrollment made, and a tentative schedule drawn up. But this year, too, as in the past, the danger that early-season hustling and bustling will peter out, that teams will play one game and then fold up, and that the whole thing will prove an utter failure, still remains to haunt Coach Samborski.

The fact that interest in Freshman intramural baseball arises each year is ample testimony that the project is worth while. As such, it is worth doing well; dormitory managers should make a real effort to keep interest at a high pitch and men who sign up to play should report at a majority of the games. It would be an unjust imposition on the H.A.A. if Yardlings allow their league to fizzle again when a small amount of conscientious effort would keep it alive and successful.