ANOTHER READING ROOM

The large number of commuters who are benefitting by the Students' Center at Dudley Hall is tribute to the University's generous policy in setting up the Center at a great expense. To make the gift complete, however, one addition is needed, which the University can provide with only a slight financial outlay. A reading-room, stocked with a few novels and with books required for outside reading in the popular courses, would make the Students' Center still more valuable to non-residents.

By moving the Ping-Pong tables to the basement, where players have asserted they are willing to carry on, what is now a game room could easily be turned into a reading room. At present non-residents can study only in the common room, where piano playing, chess and checker games, and conversations are liable to interrupt the quiet at any moment. Books can be acquired with almost as little trouble and expense as a room. Out of the vastness of Widener Library a few books can well be spared to start the collection at Dudley Hall. The commuters themselves will be able to contribute next year, when money will be left over from the ten-dollar membership fees. In addition, private parties continue to give presents to the Center whenever a specific need arises.

At the beginning of the school year, the University made its only book bequest to the non-residents, presenting them with eight copies of a book required for outside reading in one of the history courses. Although these eight books were widely read, they make up all of the Center's library. Considering that there are almost three hundred students who use the Non-resident Center, the University should supplement the cafeteria and the common room with a reading room.