BAXTER STATES NEED FOR NAVY PROTECTION

BLAMES INTERNATIONAL CRISIS ON TREATY COLLAPSE

"Security is more than just the defense of the territory on this continent," said James P. Baxter, 3rd, speaking to the Naval ROTC in Memorial Hall yesterday afternoon. Baxter, now President of Williams College, was until this year Master of Adams House and associate professor of History.

Naval powers do have an influence on the outcome of wars, Baxter declared, pointing to the development of navies in history. He laid the present international crisis in armaments to the tearing up of post-war treaties and to the collapse of the European balance of power.

Continuing his discussion of some aspects of American naval policy, Baxter warned that "they can't get us by land, but they can get us by air." Against this danger he advocated a ring of defense extending from the Aleutian Islands, through the Sandwich Islands and Samoa to the Panama Canal Zone.

He stressed the fact that the United States have not yet freed themselves from any obligations to the Philippines. In time of war it is essential, not only to protect those islands, but to keep trade routes open.