MENAGERIE

When the visiting Cambridge University squash team appeared in Cambridge last weekend there was no one to meet them, no one to afford them even the bare rudiments of hospitality. If it had not been for one or two public spirited Harvard racquetmen, the Englishmen would have had no actual contact with this University until the match began. In fact, there might have been no match at all, as they did not even know where to inquire about the time and place of the encounter. The one or two racquetmen, however, forsook their study for hour examinations, took their visitors to supper, and put them up in their rooms or those of friends.

Such an embarrassing situation for Harvard will become a thing of the past if the newly formed Managers' Club functions as the founders hope. For the Club is more than a social managers' get-together at the Varsity Club. When a manager is sick and unable to look out for the accomodations of a visiting team, then it will be the duty of other managers, probably minor sports managers in their off seasons, to pinch hit. In any case, there will always be a welcoming committee, perhaps not impressive in size, but official at least.