New Multi-Lens Camera Facilitates Map Plotting from Air, Bagley Says

Former Army Colonel Relates The Development of Camera at Geography Institute

"Greater accuracy in plotting maps from aerial photographs than has ever been achieved before will be the result of developments now taking place at the Institute of Geographical Exploration," said James W. Bagley, lecturer on Aero-photography in an interview yesterday.

Instead of printing maps from the ordinary single-lens camera Bagley, who is a retired Lieutenant-Colonel in the United States Army, and his assistants are utilizing the new multi-lens camera. This camera is the outgrowth of the trilens instrument developed by Colonel Bagley during the war. It was taken by the army and increased to five lens, and is now the Fairchild TBA.

With four oblique views besides the straight down one, the camera takes exposures in the form of a Maltese cross. The wing parts are to be set up with centers directly on a plotted position, and after orientation has been made from ground stations, roads, rivers, railroad tracks, etc., can be plotted directly with great accuracy.

Another important achievement of the aerial-photographic laboratories which, according to Bagley, have "probably the finest collection of instruments and cameras for aerial photography work in this country and even in the world," is the utilization of an entirely new calculation method.

With this, the elevation of any pictured point can be ascertained from the necessary ground controls. Bagley expects that it will be particularly applicable to explorational and economic surveys.

Asked of the work of the course, Colonel Bagley outlined a very interesting project that is being undertaken by the students. The area from Concord to Framingham is being photographed, and the photos will be used to make a standard map. This map will be reproduced in colors, and will be available for use.

Bagley, who came here a little over a year ago, and now has had a chance to weld the course together, deplored "the lack of research funds." The only original work must now be done along with regular jobs in the Institute of Geographical Exploration.