33 Student Teams Compete in Opening Round of University Bridge Tourney

Qualifying Players Will Meet In Finals at Adams House Tonight

Thirty-three student bridge teams met in the Adams House dining hall last night to compete in the first and qualifying round of the University Bridge Tournament.

The 66 players were divided into two sections, and the winning teams in each group will play in the finals to be held tonight. Last night, the Mitchell system, in which the North and South players remain stationary and the East and West players move up one table after every match was employed.

In the finals tonight, the 32 contestants to qualify will play under the Howell system. By this system, both North and South and East and West players move after every match, so that each team competing will meet every other.

Conducting the tournament last night were Paul MacNealty, who played in the sectional finals at Washington last year, and Norman Bonney, noted bridge player and former national bridge champion.

Frank W. Edwin '38, is manager of the tournament. Sidney W. Thaxter '37, 1L, who teamed up with Dana W. Hayward '37, to win last year's tournament, was not present to defend his title last night.

The prize for the winners in this year's tournament will be waterproof playing cards, rather than the customary cups, as it was felt by sponsors of the tournament that playing cards make a more useful and practical prize.