Law School Card Sharps Take University Bridge Tournament

Moore and Adams Roll Up Big Lead with 105.7 Points in Two Nights of Play

Legal minds won out at the University Bridge Tournament finals held last night at Adams House as law school students made up two of the three prize winning teams.

First place went to James A. Moore 2L, and Alexander P. Adams 2L, who rolled up a total of 105.7 points for both nights to lead the rest of the field by a secure margin.

Frank M. Ruhlen 3L, and Rudolf A. Lewis 3L, took second place with 95.3 points. Third place in the tournament went to Paul E. Morgan '39 and W. E. Huenekens '39, who were the only undergraduates to place in the first three.

Only 14 of the 33 teams that entered the first round of the tournament Monday night qualified to enter the finals. Those pairs who failed to qualify were allowed to compete in a consolation match which was held last night at the same time that the finals were held.

The Howell system was used in the final tournament. By this system, both North and South players and East and West players move after each round, so that each pair competes against every other pair. In the consolation match the Mitchell system in which North and South players remain stationary and last and west players move after every round, was employed. This is the method which was used in the qualifying rounds of the tournament.

Prizes for the winning teams this year were waterproof playing cards instead of the customary cups. For the first prize, two decks of especially engraved cards were awarded.

Norman Bonney, well known bridge authority and former national champion, conducted the tournament again last night. After the prizes had been given out, he stated that the caliber of the bridge playing in University tournaments had improved markedly during the last few years.