Boston Red Sox Stars Stumble Before Inspired Holy Cross Nine by 3-2 Score

Harvard Will Have Hands Full With This Year's Purple Baseballers

It was hardly worth a 90-mile drive to and from Fitton Field, Worcester, yesterday afternoon to find out just why big league baseballers are so much better than collegiates. The pros looked not much better in the field, not much better with the bat, and not much trickler. In fact, the Boston Red Sox were beaten 3-2 by Holy Cross.

There was a good deal of confusion. Two of the Red Sox were the same numbers, two were each other's number, and the pitcher were such a dirty number you couldn't make it out anyway. When the whole thing was cleared up, however, it became evident that a rookie named Wagner had pitched for the Sox, that a rookie named Nonneenkampf had played center field, and that ex-Holy Desautels, wearing number 2, had alternated at the catching position with rookie Peacock, also wearing number 2.

Sox Outfielders Delay Game

The ordeal of watching the Red Sox play their regular season has been gruesome enough of late without witnessing an exhibition game. Yesterday's class was no exception. Boston's million-dollar Hose merely went through the motions. The outfielders took so long getting to and from their positions that the game was on several occasions held up noticeably. Slugger Jimmy Fox struck out twice, the final time to end the game, and each time he laid his bat down so carefully that there was absolutely no danger of damaging the hickory.

In fairness to the pros, though, it must be said that they were not used to college pitchers. They swung early most of the time and fouled off a number of base knocks. Third baseman Higgins, second sacker Doerr, and hurler Byron T. Humphreys, who pitched the last inning, all gave a good account of themselves. Manager Cronin, although one winced at his shortstopping a couple of times, really hit the ball hard. In all, the Sox garnered nine hits.

Holy Cross Hot

Turning to the collegiates, the picture is brighter, or rather darker, since Harvard must encounter the Purple later on. Holy Cross has undoubtedly acquired, by fair means or foul, one of their best looking nines in a long time. They only made five hits, but every one came at the right time, and their defensive work, both infield and oufield-field, was nothing short of sensational. Pitchers Lefebvre (sp.), and Kenney looked good enough to give Fred Mitchell's Crimson plenty of trouble.

The Purple stands were packed to overflowing, and the sentiment of the 6,000 was all for Holy Cross. In the distance the football stadium looms out. There is also a college, with a couple of buildings.

There were two Sox rooters. Gossip had it that they were Messrs. Yawkey and Collins. Purple centerfielder Ouellette and third baseman Durand looked so good that someone yelled that the Sox ought to pick them up them and there. Someone answered that the Sox already had picked up former Purple star Desautels. He didn't look too hot.