Radcliffe Girls Are Forbidden to Act in HDC Play

Radcliffe Dean Demands 'Obscene' Parts Be Changed in Harvard Production

"We can't permit any of our girls to play indecent women," declared Dean Jordan of Radcliffe College to the Harvard Dramatic Club this week. Dean Jordan went on to state that until the obscene parts of the Dramatic Club's proposed production "Cannibal Carnival" were revised Radcliffe girls could not participate.

"Cannibal Carnival" was written by a London taxi driver, Herbert Hodges A farce on current events in the political and social world, the play is notable for its leftist leaning in addition to considerable frankness. The Faculty advisory committee to the Dramatic Club were favorably impressed by the play when submitted to them. Harvard Dean's office also expressed its approval.

Radcliffe authorities, however, would not consent to permitting their girls play the roles called for. Lacking any other ready source of female actors the Dramatic Club earlier in the week agreed to revise the objectionable parts and again submit it to the Radcliffe Dean today for further consideration.