Kendall, Great Free-Styler, to Leave Harvard in June for Business Career

Australian Olympic Star Will Take Chicago Job--Great Loss to Varsity

William E. Kondall '40, fastest freestyler in the British Empire, and king of distance men at Harvard and in the United States, will leave Cambridge at the end of the current term to take a position with the Coca-Cola Corporation.

The stocky Austrian Olympic ace, whose spectacular record-smashing feats have astounded swimming enthusiasts all over the nation, feels that the opportunity he has been offered is too good to refuse, and will start work in Chicago or Atlanta the summer. He will definitely not return to Harvard.

"I like Harvard very much," the "Digger" declared last night, "but with the prospect of the job I think I should be wasting my time here if I were to stay." He said that he will plan to train some while working, and will probably swim in the National A.A.U. meet, unattached. He also expects to compete in the next Olympics--for Australia, because he is still an Australian citizen despite his residence in this country.

Willie Kendall has made as remarkable a tank record as has been seen in America for many years. His chief claim to greatness lies in his versatility. His best official times in sprints and distances, for example, are the following: 23.2 in the 50-yard free-style, the Australian record; 53.8 in the 100, although unofficially he has done 52.2; 1:22.4 in the 150, an American and world's record; 2:11.2 in the 220, although his best unofficial time is 2:08; 4:46.4 in the quarter-mile (20-yard pool), an intercollegiate record and 4:48.9 in the 440 in a 25-yard pool--both Harvard records.

Because he is only a sophomore this year, Kendall would probably have developed into one of the world's greatest natators in two more years. His energetic sprint style has always caused audiences to howl with delight, while his distance stroke is a model of effortless power, featuring an amazingly powerful kick.

Kendall's departure will deprive next year's Varsity tank team of at least ten certain points in each dual meet, for in present league competition there is no one near him in the furlong and quarter. Willie took two national crowns in the N.C.A.A. meet recently, and placed second to Ralph Flanagan at the National A.A.U. meet last Saturday at Columbus, Ohio.