Tankmen Finish Season Gaily With Semi-Freak Meet, Dinner

Hutter, Ulen, Team Members Are Awarded Trophies at End-Of-Season Banquet

With a tournament notable for its informality and an end-of-season banquet replete with testimonial speeches and surprise trophy presentations, the 1938 swimming team wound up Harvard's greatest aquatic season yesterday afternoon and evening.

Out-going manager George Byrne '38 was master of ceremonies, introducing, between limericks, a long list of speakers that included Captain Charles G. Hutter, Captain-elect Rusty Greenhood, Coach Hal Ulen, Carroll Getchell, of the H.A.A., Lawrence Johnson, Boston A.A.U. official, and Dr. Eugene Wyman.

Dr. Wyman, familiar timer at Harvard meets, awarded his trophy, for the man scoring the most points in dual meet competition, for the third year in a row to Hutter. Hutter retaliated, in behalf of the team, with a new gabardine sport coat for Ulen, who has amazed swimming fans for years by appearing in his "lucky" coat for every meet.

Not to be outdone, the be-muscled mentor presented Hutter from himself and the squad, a statuette of a swimmer for the Crimson leader's "competitive ability and spirit of leadership." Getchell awarded each Varsity man an engraved watch-fob, gifts from the H.A.A. to the team as winners of the Eastern League title and victors over Yale.

The University tournament in the afternoon was featured by Willie Kendall's 1:40 in the 150 individual medley. However, Coach Ulen detected a poorly-disguised flutter-kick in the Australian's breastroking and promptly disqualified him. Charlie Hutter combined track with swimming by clambering out of the pool after each lap and sprinting around the edge, in a futile effort to catch Kendall. He was hampered by a buoyant attire of three life-rings and two pairs of waterwings. The medley was the only scratch event, the others being run on a handicap basis.

Frank Coleman, swimming the 440, leafed for 14 laps, then stopped and asked, "Is Berizzi swimming an honest race?" Upon being told yes, Coleman sprinted madly, barely nosing out "Two-lap" Barker for second place.